Space. Simple form. Both mask a complexity inherent in tensile architecture. The structure in place, itself evidence of science and careful planning, stands to remind us of what can be achieved with the intelligent use of cables and end fittings working together in tension. Be it a catenary lighting system, a tensioned fabric roof, a simple yet elegant cable stayed bridge or a cable net, all depend on cables as the primary load carrying structure.
The results are structures of unique depth and openness, with large spans made possible by balancing the need for reduced self weight, with the application of minimalist and efficient high tensile cable tendons. This is lightweight tensile architecture and a Ronstan passion.
The ultimate aesthetic adjustable structural cable tendon.
Up to 256kN / 26,127kg / 57,600lb
4mm to 22mm (0.157in. to 0.866in.)
5/32in. to 7/8in. (ex-USA only)
- A minimalist, sleek and compact cable solution for static architectural applications.
- Ultimate aesthetics in stainless steel.
- Fully adjustable telescoping end fittings.
- Fully concealed threads.
- Moderate adjustment.
- A simple and effective adjustable cable.
- Used in highly visible architectural applications where moderate adjustment is required.
- Suited to applications where adjustment is sought at both ends.
- Suited to static applications where termination cleats are aligned.
ACS2 – Jaw Turnbuckle to Jaw
An attractive jaw (clevis) type cable system in stainless and carbon steel offering increased level adjustment.
SS – Up to 945kN / 96,420kg / 212,330lb
GS – Up to 1,189kN / 121,240kg / 267,290lb
Type 10 SS – 3mm to 26mm (0.118in. to 1.024in.)
Type 3 SS – 28.6mm to 36.6mm (1.126in. to 1.441in.)
Type 3 GS – 8.1mm to 36.6mm (0.319in. to 1.429in.)
- Fully adjustable cables offering increased adjustment with the inclusion of a turnbuckle one end.
- Type 10 cables have turnbuckles with moving parts of dissimilar metals to avoid thread seizure under load.
- Type 10 cable end fittings have articulating (toggle) jaw ends offering adjustment in two planes to accommodate some cleat misalignment, and relieve stresses caused by dynamic and cyclical loads.
- Type 3 cables have turnbuckles designed specifically for large diameter applications and are manufactured to nominated design loads.
- All ends offer simple and easy connection with clevis and split pins.
- All turnbuckles offer lock nuts to positively lock adjustment.
- A robust structural cable offering maximum adjustment.
- Can accommodate moderate dynamic loads.
- Type 10 cables can accommodate misalignment of the cleats of +/- 10 degrees.
- Suited to structural applications where maximum adjustment from a single end is sought.
ACS3 – Threaded Terminals
A simple and effective adjustable cable in stainless and carbon steel.
SS – Up to 945kN / 96,420kg / 212,330lb
GS – Up to 1,189kN / 121,240kg / 267,161lb
3mm to 36.6mm (0.118in. to 1.441in.)
- Simple easy tensioning by adjusting the locknuts.
- Adjustable at both ends.
- Threaded ends can be secured to suitably threaded anchorages.
- Used where cable termination points are directly aligned.
- Nuts and washers require suitable bearing surfaces or plates.
- Simple and effective tendons where non-loaded adjustment is required at both ends.
A high tensile carbon steel cable for high load engineered applications.
Up to 20,000kN / 2,039,430kg / 4,496,170lb
21mm to 140mm (0.827in. to 5.512in.)
- Highest load capacity of Ronstan’s Structural Carbon Steel Rods reducing the mass of your structure with flow on benefits in transport and construction costs.
- Fixed length cable of highest load capacity.
- Galfan coated carbon steel (inner round wires heavy galvanized).
- Pre-stretched and manufactured to a nominated design load.
- Socketed end jaw fittings.
- Outer strands fully locked and profiled for highest cross sectional area, load capacity and corrosion resistance.
- High modulus of elasticity.
- High resistance to deformation and surface pressure
- Suited to engineered structural applications where minimal elongation and cable behaviour are key design parameters.